Sunday, March 21, 2010

My experiences and what I have learnt

Studying ICTs for Learning Design has opened my eyes to how many resources are available to educators these days. As a member of generation Y, and having completed my secondary schooling in 2005, I was part of a cohort of students that was chastised for having our mobile phones and iPods seemingly permanently attached to our ears! It was not until I reached University that I became aware of educators who were utilising these technologies for learning experiences, for example by providing lectures through podcasts.

I understand that every student may not be able to afford or have an Ipod or mobile phone for whatever reason. However educators should still try to embrace these types of technology that are now such a big part of young peoples' lives. As future educators, we should be asking ourselves, how can I use technology to engage my students and enhance their learning? The possibilites are seemingly endless.

I believe that using technologies in education provides great prospects for enhancing learning however there is also some literature to suggest that educators must be careful when using them. "The research is beginning to show that success requires understanding the complex interactions in classrooms between teachers, students and technology" (Cope & Ward 2002 from Honey, Culp & Carrigg, 2000). An interesting point!

I look forward to learning more about applying ICTs into my own learning design.

Christie


References:

Cope, C., & Ward, p. (2002). Integrating Learning Technology into Classrooms: The Importance of Teachers' Perceptions. Educational Technology & Society, 5(1)

No comments:

Post a Comment