Sunday, April 11, 2010

Slideshare



Slideshare allows you to upload Powerpoint presentations and also add narrations. It is an interesting idea, however if the teacher is going to be in the room presenting the Powerpoint, I am unsure of the purpose of going to the trouble of pre-recording a narration for the presentation. However, it may be a good option for ensuring all types of learners are catered for - ie a presentation with a narration offers visual and audio content for students.

I uploaded a Powerpoint presentation I created earlier in the course, however as I do not have a microphone on my computer I was unable to create a narration to go with it. The upload and embed process was quite simple and easy to follow.

According to the Dale's cone theory, visual symbols; verbal symbols; and recordings, radio and still pictures are the three least effective teaching methods (The Abilene Christian University Adams Center for Teaching Excellence, 2000). Therefore, according to Dale's cone, a Powerpoint presentation with a narration may not be an effective learning tool.


References:

The Abilene Christian University Adams Center for Teaching Excellence. (2000). Active Learning Online: Dale's Cone. Retrieved 11 April 2010 from http://www.acu.edu/cte/activ-elearning/whyuseal2.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment